We're looking for a great front-end developer that loves making users smile, a content marketing pro to get LongShorts stories to readers, a project manager to maker sure we stay on target and on time, and of course great interns to keep us in check and introduce new ideas to the mix!
Before getting into the details of who we're looking for, let us tell you about where we want to go with LongShorts!
Reawaken imagination by telling stories that fit real-time.
Reawaken imagination like we all had when we were younger. The imagination that makes you dream of going out in the world and doing something like climbing Everest, going to space, and going beyond where you are now.
By telling stories like our parents and favorite authors told and tell us. Stories that we experience by putting ourselves by seeing through the hero's eyes or looking into the antagonist's.
Stories that fit real-time. Literally, we mean stories that are told in real-time, little-by-little as the characters live through them. More importantly, it means making stories that fit our real daily lives outside of the free-time when we can watch movies and read books, by telling stories in seconds long chapters.
Empower a new generation of Tolkiens, Spielbergs, and ____
Giving a generation of writers a new medium to grow their story, and an app to grow their audience in. Helping them to explore new ways to get in touch with their audience, not with marketing, just with stories.
Blur the line between fiction and reality, bringing characters to life
Creating stories that blur the line like War of the Worlds did in 1938, probably with less of the panic and more of just stopping and taking notice. We want to bring characters to life in real-time and bringing readers closer to them.
Grow awareness, educate, and build empathy through fiction
Facts and non-fiction aren't always the best educators. Sometimes you've got to spend time with someone or even walk in their shoes to feel for them. That's why we're donating stories and collaborations to NPO's.
The kind of people we're looking to meet
Binge watchers who go beyond watching and dream about the worlds their characters live in.
Readers and audiobook listeners who are constantly plugged into a story.
Gamers who don't just play to win, but play for what happens next.
Creative people who love telling their own stories.
And most importantly people who know they belong with us, even if they don't fit the criteria
What we hope to offer them is…
The chance, no the opportunity to change the world!.. but maybe more important to you right now is:
The chance to make LongShorts yours as an owner in the company with an options package, and continued opportunities to grow within the team and beyond.
We work hard and we are looking for people that can be emotionally invested, but also that can balance themselves. We're not an on call 24/7 kind of team. When you're on you're expected to be on, and when you're off, turn off Slack!
A budget to invest in your projects and in yourself. If there's a conference you should be at tell us, if there's something that would help you work better lets get it! You'll be in charge of a budget to make sure you can do your best work, even though we don't like to think of it as just work.
We also offer full health care and all the general benefits, along with annual salary raises, and can help you maintain your Japanese visa if necessary.
Who we're looking to meet
A front-end dev that loves animations and losing themselves in the little details that aren't always noticed, but when they are they make the user smile.
• Flow or something similar
• Unit Testing
• Native Android or iOS
• Self-published app experience
Who'd be working on:
• Making the transitions of our reader app delightful.
• Adding in great empty states and refreshing/loading views.
• Making buttons that readers just love to tap.
• Working with our product designer and graphic designer to help refine designs.
• Taking our writing web app from being a data entry style tool to an optimized LongShorts story writing experience.
A content marketing specialist,
growth hacker, strategist, or whatever title you call yourself as long as you can show how your words translate to numbers.
• PR outreach and developing partnerships with outside brands
• Google Analytics or a similar tool
• Developing posts and content
• Copywriting experience
• Familiar with design software
• Business level Japanese
Who'd be working on:
• Finding the right niches and communities for our stories.
• Making sure there's a system in place so authors have everything they need to tell the world about their stories.
• Developing partnerships with brands and story owners that would be excited to tell the world about stories featuring them.
• Managing advertising funnels and refining based on analytics.
• Working with our design team to create new promo campaigns.
• Letting us know what's missing on this list!
A technically oriented project manager who will take ownership of the dev-timeline, decide what makes the cut, and maybe even get in to help code too.
• Managing projects in Jira, Pivotal Tracker, or similar software
• QA/logging, and tracking bugs
• Outlining user stories and tasks
• Familiar with React
• Presentation skills
• Business level Japanese
Who'd be working on:
• Working with our small dev team and as a part of our dev team to set time estimates and dev goals.
• Talking with our product designer to break down new features into manageable tasks.
• Scheduling releases and communicating these within the team to ensure partnerships, marketing campaigns, and other dependent events are able to be met or adjusted.
Ambitious interns with a budding skill that they're looking to develop.
We're looking for marketing interns with a meaningful online presence and can take the small steps that come before going viral. Writing interns who are ready to expand what a story can be and share their stories with friends. Story content support interns who are great with a pen, pencil, or camera and can make LongShorts' writers' stories even better. Development interns who are ready to learn about our process and consistently shipping code.
Our internships last 3-months and require at least 16+ hr's p/wk. We hope you'll grow as part of our team and biggest hope is that after your internship we won't be able to resist offering you stock options and a full-time paid position with our team!
* For interns college-credit based internships or paid internships are available dependent upon skill-level
We hope to meet you soon!
Send us a message below, along with any relevant links where we can learn more about you, and maybe a resume or portfolio. We'll look forward to you dropping by our office for a cup of cold brew coffee soon!